Monday 26 January 2009

I’m blogging – why?

As many people who know me are aware, I was one of the founders of DigitalSpy, choosing intelligently (ha ha ha) to get out before it went commercial and started making money.

History of DigitalSpy

I setup ONfaq as a single point of access for information about ONdigital, the UKs first digital terrestial broadcaster. My reasons were simple, I had found it difficult to get info about ONdigital, and wanted to save other people the same hassle of searching – hence ONfaq. ONdigital news and information.

Now whether I found digiNEWS or Iain found ONfaq, I can’t remember. But we got in touch, he was carrying SkyDigital stuff, I was carrying ONdigital stuff. If we combined our efforts we could cover both and give people more content.

So the digiNEWS Network was formed. I knocked up some new graphics and a layout that both sites could share and it looked pretty damn good.

Things started to gather pace. Jose, a sys-admin guru, got in touch to see if we were interested in moving the digiNEWS Network sites from the free ISP accounts we had onto a virtual server he had running.

Then Chris Norris and cablenews:uk joined, Neil Wilkes and TVzone joined and Mark Hughes and dvdnews joined.

We were getting big, the time had come to try and be more professional, we needed a name that we could buy a domain account for. Unfortuately another group of individuals had sneakily snaffled diginews.co.uk (and frequently “borrowed” a lot of our content), so we couldn’t get that, and someone else had got diginews.com, so we needed a new name.

Again I’m not sure who it was that came up with it, either Jose, Iain or , but DigitalSpy was top of the list. And so it happened.

But I digress, quite a lot really…

Why am I blogging? Because back in the ONfaq days as well as passing on news and info, I had a voice in the community. I’m quite knowledgeable on TV, let’s face it I watch a lot of it, and I’m also geekily interested in the technical details, how things work, who owns who, etc.

Since leaving DigitalSpy to flourish (if you love something, set it free), I’ve not really had an outlet for my massive media ego to vent its frustrations with the state of UK media.

So enough is enough, I’m blogging.

Fair enough, no-one is likely to read it, infact no-one is probably reading this. But I’m venting, and that can only be a healthy process, so here goes.

Until I get bored, which let’s face it could be next week…

No comments:

Post a Comment